Welcome to Free Senior Drivers Expo Website
A RoadSafe Westgate Initiative
Supporting Senior Drivers
In the context of an aging population, older road user safety will continue to be a key concern for an ever increasingly large percentage of the Victorian community. Therefore, as a priority RoadSafe Westgate promotes and organises Best Practice older driver programs.
RoadSafe Westgate Community Road Safety Council in conjunction with Wyndham City Council, will be holding a Free Senior Drivers Expo.
When: Saturday 19th August 2017
Time: 9.45am until 2.30pm
Where: Penrose Promenade Community Centre
Address: 83 Penrose Promenade, Tarneit
Registration: Get in early to register as places are limited. Bookings are essential!
Register online or call Lynette on 9742 7534.
- The Senior Drivers expo is available for drivers who are retired or approaching retirement.
- The attendee must have a current Victorian Motor Car Driving Licence.
The Senior Driver’s Expo is a free and confidential program, and is suitable for those either in, or approaching retirement age.
The Expo is made up of 6 sessions that are
- Driving assessment
- Vehicle check
- Road Law update
- How health and medicines relate to driving
- Tyre Safety, and
- Question & Answer Session with Police and Road Safety Professionals.
You also get a free and confidential driving check.
Your car will also have a free & confidential roadworthy check.
Morning tea and a light lunch will be provided to all who attend.
There is no charge and everything is private and confidential.
- Bookings are essential
- Bring your car
- Bring a pen
Partners of attendees are also welcome.
The Senior Drivers Expos are designed to keep older drivers on the road by:
Important UpdatesBe updated confidentially with the important information on road safety, Driving and Prescribed Medicine and Road Laws, check their driving technique and vehicle safety to keep our Senior Drivers on the road longer and to drive safely.
Improve Driving SkillsA good way to improve your driving. It’s free; it’s confidential; it’s staffed by experts.
- Health & Driving – Prescribed Medicines
- Driving – Road Laws
- Tyres — Road Safety
We can be better drivers with a few simple things:
- Keeping up with new road laws;
- Making sure our health is as good as can be;
- Getting rid of bad driving habits;
- Keeping our cars in good condition.
We provide a forum to discuss:
- Road Law, implications on driver behaviour, changes to road law;
- Responsibility to report serious or chronic medical conditions and disabilities that may affect safe driving;
- Information on health conditions and medicines that may impact on safe driving;
- Importance of safe cars and roadworthiness;
- Feedback on individual driving habits and compliance with road law;
- Personal responsibility for fitness two drive and vehicle roadworthiness.
Participants also get:
- a free confidential driving assessment;
- a roadworthy check on their car;
- a free Senior Drivers Expo pack;
- Videos; Health Screening Check;
- Road Law forum;
- Road Law update;
- Health and Medicines discussion;
- Morning tea and lunch.
The aim of the Senior Drivers’ Expo is to provide feedback to older drivers about their driving skills as well as informing them about changes in road law and an understanding of the effect that illnesses and medicines may have on their driving.
There is strong evidence that those who cease driving become more isolated from their communities and more likely to be institutionalised at great expense to themselves and to the tax-payers. The Expo encourages competent senior drivers to maintain their independence by continuing drive whilst it is safe for them to do so.
In pride and place are our stakeholders, Victoria Police Highway Patrol and VicRoads Vehicle Fitness personnel and licensed and accredited driving instructors. These guys give up for 4 Saturdays a year to pass on their expertise to our participants, also the in-kind support of our 4 Municipal Councils and volunteers within the RoadSafe Westgate region, without such combined support the program would not be as successful as it has become.
In 2013, RoadSafe Westgate expanded the Senior Drivers Expo from 3 sessions per year to 4 sessions. At the same time we aimed to extend the numbers of participants at each session with more streamlined programming throughout the 6 hours of each session.
At each Senior Drivers’ Expo, participants are asked to complete a Participant Evaluation Questionnaire with brief comments on the programs activities. These evaluations are a major input into a continuous improvement program and prompt further evaluation of components of the Expo after each session.
Average Participant Evaluations (in percentage) for all 4 session during 2015-2016 showing where the participants have gained positive improvements from the program.
|Overall||Driving||Roadworthy||Health||Law||Forum||Recommend to Others||Improvement Not Needed||Lunch|